I am compassionate when I have kind feelings towards someone who is hurt or troubled. I care deeply and want to help even if I don't know them.
I show humility when I am myself. I don't worry about impressing other people. I am aware of my ability and I desire to be a better person. When I do something wonderful, humility reminds me to be thankful rather than boastful.
I act with social justice when I show fairness, equity and respect for human dignity and the rights of all living things. I am hospitable and show courage when I speak up for the needs and rights of others.
I give service when I give to others and want to make a difference in their lives. I see that the needs of others are as important as my own. When I work with the spirit of service, I give any job my best effort.
I show forgiveness when I give someone another chance after they have done something wrong, knowing that everyone makes mistakes. I own up when I am at fault and make amends.
- We are proud to belong to our school family
- We help each other to live like Jesus
- We always use our best manners when we speak to each other
- We are confident learners who try our best everyday
- We are able to organise ourselves and focus on our learning
- We use the rules of fair play and include others in our games
- We are friendly and respectful and live by the golden rule of "Treat each other as I would like to be treated"
- We are creative thinkers who know who to ask and where to look for new knowledge.
- We try to make sure that everyone is happy and safe by looking after our friends and our teachers
- We help others who are less fortunate and need our help
CURRICULUM LEARNING AREAS
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION - TE WHAKAAKORANGA WHAKAPONO
ENGLISH - INGARIHI
Our Vision: "Our students will be come effective and skilled communicators as speakers and listeners, writers and readers and presenters and viewers."
MATHEMATICS & STATISTICS - PANGARAU
Our Vision: "Our students will explore and use number, patterns and relationships in quantities, space and data and use a broad range of practical maths applications in everyday life."
HEALTH & PHYSICAL EDUCATION - HAUORA
Our Vision: "Our students will become positive contributors by enhancing the well-being of themselves, other people and society."
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION: A specialist PE teacher is employed to teach all classes.
EDUCATION OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
"Our students' learning will be enhanced through Education Outside the Classroom opportunities and activities."
- SWIMMING: Each year children travel to a local heated pool for up to 10 lessons with trained instructors. Parents contribute to the cost of tuition and transport.
- GYMNASTICS: Students enjoy six lessons at the with the School of Gymnastics in alternate years.
- SPORTS: Senior students participate in all North Zone and Catholic School sports competitions.
- EDUCATION OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM: The senior class has the opportunity to attend two outdoor education camps.
- CYBERSAFETY: Students are expected to follow the ICT safe practices evident in all classrooms.
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: Every student has access to digital devices to enrich their learning.
- SCHOOL WEBSITE: This website contains all school information and communication including recent newsletters and class blogs. Within "Our Learning" each class has their specific online area which has relevant literacy and numeracy links to learning activities and may also have learning tasks for students.
Our Vision: "Our students will respect other cultures including their languages."
THE ARTS - NGA TOI
Our Vision: "Our students will explore and celebrate their unique artistic expression through movement, sound and image."
- MUSIC: Senior students participate in the Christchurch Primary Schools' Music Festival and Kids for Kids Concerts on alternate years.
- CHORAL SINGING: A specialist choral teacher is employed to teach the Year 5-6 students each week.
- MUSICAL PRODUCTION: These are produced on a triennial basis and are very much looked forward to by the students.
SUSTAINABILITY - Our world's resources must be protected and sustained.
INTERACTION - All interactions produce an effect.
CHANGE - The world and its people are in constant change.
SCIENCE - PUTAIAO
Our Vision: "Our students will use Science as a way of investigating, understanding and explaining our natural, physical world and the wider universe."
SOCIAL SCIENCES - TIKANGA A IWI
Our Vision: "Our students will gain knowledge, skills and experiences that help them to understand, participate in and contribute to the communities in which they live and work."
TECHNOLOGY - HANGARAU
Our Vision: "Our students will be able to develop products and systems that address needs and realise opportunities by working through a design process."
The New Zealand Curriculum Ministry of Education (2007), p.9
St Albans Catholic School curriculum supports and empowers all students to learn and achieve personal excellence, regardless of their individual circumstances. It provides objectives and opportunities for children to experience, learn and grow in faith and awareness of Catholic morality, taking into account the ability, background and family situation.High Expectations will be addressed through teaching the Learner Quality of High Achiever.
TREATY OF WAITANGI:
“The curriculum acknowledges the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and the bicultural foundations of Aotearoa New
“The curriculum reflects
“The curriculum is non-sexist, non-racist, and non-discriminatory; it ensures that students’ identifies, languages, abilities, and talents are recognised and affirmed and that their learning needs are addressed.”
Inclusion will be addressed through teaching the Learner Quality of Team Player.
LEARNING TO LEARN:
“The curriculum encourages all students to reflect on their own learning processes and to learn how to learn.”
Learning to Learn will be addressed and taught through the Learner Qualities of Creative Thinker, Effective Communicator and High Achiever.
“The curriculum has meaning for students, connected with their wider lives, and engages the support of their families, whanau, and communities.”
“The curriculum offers all students a broad education that makes links within and across learning areas, provides for coherent transitions, and opens pathways to further learning.”
“The curriculum encourages students to look to the future by exploring such significant future-focused issues as sustainability, citizenship, enterprise, and globalisation.”
Future Focus will be addressed and taught through the Learner Quality of High Achiever.